Friday, September 12, 2008

What Was Your First Clue

Friday... Finally. It was a cautious start to the week with Ike meandering around the Atlantic Basin. We were fortunately spared but my thoughts are with my niece and nephew-in-law in Houston. They have assured me they have a plan but hurricanes are nasty, unpredictable beasts. Be safe!

Today was the first of my follow-up visits from my initial consult with a new doc last week. He was concerned about some moles and I figure I live in the Skin Cancer Capital of the world I should get checked. I of course had a week of self examination in which I found one mole hiding in my arm pit. I think it winked at me one day as I obsessively checked on it. Alas, nothing to worry about, a clean bill of health for 2-3 years and a conversation on sub blocks. He recommend a Neutrogena spray on product -- a 30 SPF would be fine and lasts up to three non-greasy hours.

I had to chuckle when he asked me to drop my pants -- no, not in a rubber glove snapping way, just to check legs and feet. "you must be a cyclist" he said -- I was so proud of my newly shorn legs -- "you have some raised (insert medical term here) on legs." He didn't even comment on the chain bite scars I am sporting after Mountain Mama.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to do a 60 miler with Al for an early group ride. He insists it is important public relations to get familiar with the clubs if I want to open a shop. I couldn't agree more. I was scheduled to do 60 Sunday anyway. I am probably going to end up in the slowest group with recumbents and trikes. The fastest group travels at 28 MPH, me -- not so much.

Tonight a little neighborhood spin to put some Spänk in the shorn meat sticks and a good tall Belgian (ale).

Cheers to Brother Jeff (needs a moniker) who will be the recipient of a Cannondale R600 as he endeavors to start riding. It's never too late.

Spin On

No comments: