Monday, August 3, 2009

Hossenfeffer Anyone?

I was the rabbit again today -- twice to the same group of riders...

Due to work constraints I missed my mid-week spin and T3 session. I did pick up a couple rides and some trainer time though and did some core work at home. Saturday spin was fine, challenging but doable. I figure it equates to about a 16 mile ride, calorie-wise and a century sweat wise. I like this instructor though because he "climbs" versus "jumps" much of the class.
The balance of Saturday brought chores and a relaxing evening at home.

My Sunday plan was to do 40. I felt rested and had prepped the night before so I was ready to roll earlier and beat some of the heat. Just as I was hitting my stride I realized I had failed to use/bring my inhaler to ward off my excursional asthma. I felt fine and these are really flat roads so I just kept going. Hindsight is 20/20.

I was heading home and I noted a group behind me. They caught me a while later and I was able to keep close to them for a while but the eventually slipped out of sight. As I was cranking home, ready to hit the causeway there they were, pulling out of a parking lot. I couldn't resist and said "Hey, what took you so long?" They laughed and one guy said "Just for that smart-a** comment you can pull us over the bridge." And I did for about 2 miles and upwards of 20 miles an hour. They left me again and got over the big bridge well ahead of me -- again -- we’re dedicated not fast! The big climb (laughable) did me in. My lungs were toast and I eeked out all I could to get over the top. Sad.

At mile 33 I bonked. I figured I could just finish even if it was just circles around the neighborhood but then I ran out of water. In the 92+º heat I did not want to push it. I watch my heart monitor pretty closely in the heat and if it sticks in zone 3 on an easy flat, that usually says "bag it." So I ended at 35+ for the day.

I was encouraged though that I wanted to cool off and go do it again later that day. Sunday afternoon was spent cleaning up the machine and adding the double water bottle cage!

The Cycle Continues

No comments: