Sunday, October 3, 2010

Riverlution Ride Report

Grab a coffee or beer, it's a long one.



This years ride was more about not riding, I think, than the ride itself. We had such a great collection of family, friends and feasting the time on the bike seemed less important. What was important is that we raised money for animal rescue and cancer research. Thank you everyone who helped by donating time, money or both!

The trip was stressful for me and it started before we even left when UPS called to say my bike box label had fallen off. One great guy in Jax called me and sent it on despite "regulations" to send it to lost and found. In tracking it though it was headed to MN but didn't really specify where! Stress Level One.

We had an early flight out, direct to MPLS on Delta. Up really early -- even for me -- and took the dogs out for a walk. When I came in Nifi was in the kitchen and said "Our flights been cancelled." I thought she was kidding for a split second, but her look said otherwise. Great. Stress Level Two. Good news was we were re-routed thru Detroit later that morning with decent lay-over time.

Later, we decided to take take the option for a cheap upgrade to First Class. Plus, I figured that we would get off the plane faster than struggling from row 35 in coach. All was on time, we boarded and settled into our plush leather seats. That is when I noticed two guys in logoed knit shirts that were not with Delta. I also noticed the pained look on the attendant's faces. Stress level Three enacted. We waited. We waited some more. We would have certainly missed our connection. Then we were asked to deplane, get our bags and re-check in at the counter. Stress Level Four complete.

Nifi and I plodded back to baggage claim and fetched our bags. We went upstairs to see a line about a block long! Fortunately we stood next to a quiet older man looking through what looked like a TV Guide. While people chatted he asked where we were going. I lamented that we are trying to get to MPLS and this was our second cancelled flight. He goes back to his book. Then he says "There is a direct flight to MPLS leaving at 3:25." What! This is great -- I booked it from my phone at the back of the line and we raced up and got our boarding passes. The comfort of First Class was long gone and we now have to try and recoup the funds from Delta -- in writing.

Two beers go me back to Stress Level Three. The poor SAG Sisters had been driving around MPLS all afternoon waiting for us in rainy MN fall weather. I kept calling them to alert them to our progress. The last straw was circling the airport for 40 minutes due to weather. I nearly kissed the ground when we landed. Travel is not a Martin gene.

We had a dark drive south to Redwing. I had a few dark beers to lower me to SL2. But by 9:00 that night we made it to our final destination and the start of family time. Plus, my bike was due in Redwing at 8:00 a.m. thanks to the dedication and investigation by brother Mike.

Friday was slow to start. I walked down to my sisters to get coffee while my parents house slept and awoke slowly. From there Brother Mike and I went in town and got my steed from UPS -- sitting in the bay as promised. So happy!

That afternoon it was errands and ride planning. The Hilds rolled in from Illinois for the ride. So fun to see them again and share "my home" and family with them. Again, that word "family" pops up. Dinner at SAG Sister Station was phenomenal -- pasta, breads, salads and of course beer and wine (maybe too much!). I forced myself to bed despite the laughter, food and gifts from the vine. I passed out this years jersey's and swag to the Team R2R members who made it to dinner. Tomorrow was the early start for the Second Riverlution. The dogs and honored guests were depending on us. My eldest sister, SG is recovering from surgery to combat cancer. She is a gift -- always spirited, always in awe of what others do, not realizing all she has and will continue to do. Family.

Saturday morning was cool and grey, temps hovering just above 50º. But, the howling winds of the previous day had diminished. Small prayers answered. I headed back down to SAG Station One for coffee and a hot breakfast I was eager to ride but anxious too. I was not sure if I had trained enough for the terrain ahead.

I had assembled my bike the day before and rode 10 miles on the trail around Wacouta, MN. I pumped up everyone's tires, checked over my bike one more time and changed for the ride. JH was delivered for the ride and breakfast. All was good and three of us headed out with dropping temps. We rolled out at 9:05 and planned to meet the rest of the Team in Wabasha in the early afternoon.

The road conditions were bad heading into Redwing. About six miles in I flatted -- big time. I picked up a screw directly into my tire so deep I had to thread it back out. I had one spare, one CO2 cartridge and that was all any of us had. Note for next year -- shwag to include tubes and CO2. Brother Mike remembered one he had in the garage. He called SAG Central and got it added to the wagon. I feared all the training and effort would be cut short by a second flat. I would have been out. Alas, only one more flat was to come and it was a good thing.

Bad roads almost put me in a huge rut that would have taken me out, but I missed it at the last second. I can still see it and the calamity that would have ensued. The roads never really got better until we hit WI and highway 35. Of course that is also where we hit the big climb. The climb I trained for all summer. It is not steep but it is over two miles long. Shortly into it I realized I had made a mistake not weight training this year. I quickly ran through every gear I had and began worrying: SL4. My heart rate monitor was acting up as well so I did not trust the numbers. I later found out the chest band was twisted, so a zero reading meant bad connection, not that I was dead. My lungs and legs fought to find a rhythm I could deal with. I chose not to look at the speed but my inner competitiveness drove me to gain on Brother Mike and JH. I was able to lead the way up the hill and back down a gear or three. Just maybe I could have gone up a longer hill...maybe. I made one other error in climbing and that was to look up hill not just ahead. Mentally it can be pretty defeating. That did however give me a smile as Brother Ric climbed out of his car in Team wear to cheer us over the top -- what a great sight to see.



About half way up, after cars and motorcycles rushing past us, I heard a really loud, nasty sounding car. Sure it was in need of a total ring job, it was the SAG Sisters ringing the cowbell and yelling cheers of encouragement. Great timing. Even greater to see you at the decent for some needed fuel and fluids. Once again Brother Mike descended like a fat man's ham sandwich. I chose not to take pace because of the road conditions. JH chose not to rush down either -- because he is smart.



The next leg was through several small towns -- worth visiting -- just not during an endurance ride. The terrain mellowed out and thankfully, so did the pavement. Last years ride had me cursing the DOT for such bumpy shoulders. This year all smoothed out. One query for a "sandwich" in Nelson and a quick stop it was on to Wabasha to meet the rest of our Team. And coffee. The temps had never really warmed past the mid-50's and this FL boy was chilled. We met up with our team and new members Tony, Dave and Allison. As introductions were taking place Nifi walked up with hot coffee -- a welcome addition to the ride and my chilled core. We had 27 miles left. I headed out with the Team thanking Juan Valdez and the Smart Wool arm warmers from Spengahli who could not make the ride -- impending, now birth of our newest Team member Kellen Crossley Spencer! Congrats to all. I can't wait to ride with you Kellen.

Now a team of eight we broke into smaller peletons based on freshness, training and bikes. Three riders took the lead. As we approached the next stop, they passed it and went on. JH and I stopped for some food and water. While we waited for the next group SAG One got a call. Tony -- who was riding a fixed gear by the way (and my new hero) flatted. They were in Lake City. From the one sided conversation I got "Lake City For Pete's Sake." Back and forth it turns out he flatted right in front of a bar called "For Pete's Sake" and now an added spot on the Riverlution. As we rode in Brother Ric called us -- and our bikes -- into the bar. Team and Sag shared a pitcher (or two) of beer to fortify us for the last 12 miles. SAG Sister SG could did not know what to make of it all. The chamois shorts, Butt Butter, beer and why we would take on the suffering. We all had reasons and she was part of mine. A big part.



Again this year a lump and tear came to me as we topped the last hill and saw my Mom and Dad meeting us at the top waving American flags. Kisses, tears of joy, relief and hugs. Family.

Half a mile down the road a welcome party ensued with home-made vegetable soup and thanks to Brother Ric, Rush River Beer to warm our tired legs and fill our hearts with joy that we had made one Riverlution come true. Both the food and the sensation were delicious.

The next and final gathering was at Mom's after we all cleaned up and the Hild Girls made it back from their MPLS shopping adventure. We joked, laughed and regaled in the day. Together we were all family and now friends who were family too. In truth they always had been. We toasted our collective success in the ride, the preparation and the SAG support.

The night was make poignant by small moments. Young kids that just met and were now fast friends. Brother Ric showing us all the stars visible from Jupiter and the thrill the kids had seeing them. My mother's joy in having her family together again. We rang the cowbell and thanked everyone for being part of one of the biggest things in my life, and part of my family. And though the feeling had not quite come back to my posterior, we made plans for next year. Family.



Stress Level Zero.

No comments: