Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Steady Riding Diet

Riding is supposed to be a hobby, right? I have to keep reminding myself that this is for fun and not to stress when I can't hit the road "on schedule". My trusty steed is in the shop getting the afore mentioned problems fixed -- minor adjustment they tell me. Work has been very busy and taken the forefront over many things -- including training. I hope to hit it again tonight. I think the rest may be good for my knee in any event.

Bob, thanks for the "sugar" research. Unfortunately science was never my strong suit. I thought the periodic table was well designed from a graphic stand point but it defied me mentally. My only concern about extra weight comes from a long-haul perspective. While I am within my BMI range, I could be a little lighter. I figure 5 pounds multiplied by 100 miles is a quarter ton of weight I do not need to lug up hills. I have leveled out now and think that is where I will land for the MM.

Thanks again for the research!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Electrolytes and cramping...

I wanted to take the opportunity to mention one additional supplement that I take on really hot days or when I ride an event...Endurolytes.

Endurolytes (formerly E-caps) are chelated electrolytes in capsule form. This is yet another Hammer product.

I became interested in my electrolyte balance (or lack thereof) after a good calf cramp during MM last August. After a little bit of research, I figured I was either dehydrated (very likely) or lost too many electrolytes without adequately attempting to replace.

Most products out there have some amounts of sodium but often, that's it. I like the Endurolytes because they have Sodium, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium...all involved with muscle function. The chelation factor helps these electrolytes become absorbed and used...or as Hammer states become 'rapidly assimilated'. Now that's good marketing.

I like that I can add a few caps prior to and during a ride, especially if it's hot and I am sweating that salt out. Most replacement drinks don't have enough electrolytes if you need to replace on a hot day. Otherwise, I would end up overdrinking and suffer from stomach bloat. Yep, we all know how that goes...

Steve, this may be an option for you as you continue your training in steamy Florida.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Not sure if you get Endurance Magazine, but they have a good summary on nutrition products (both gels and drinks) in their latest edition. This publication is out of the G'boro area. Kevin connected me with the editor there. I have saved the review and can mail to you if you would like. I think they have a website too, so you might be able to get it there too.

Also, the Sept. issue of Bicycling reviews the new Trek Madone...thought you would want to read that.

The weather is supposed to break here later today and I plan to ride hills on Sat/Sun to prep for MM.

Cheers.