Monday, June 30, 2008

The Bike Gods Were Angry...

After my spin class HR issues I was a little anxious about attempting 60 miles on Sunday. I got up and began prepping. I was actually feeling nervous, like I was riding an event. But I felt I had to ride the distance, it needed to be accomplished and act as a turning point before Mountain Mama.

I had spent Saturday afternoon cleaning The Carbon Suppository (Trek 5200) and putting the seat bottle cages -- I knew I would be needing all the access to fluids I could get. So I was ready. I told myself not to over-do, just finish. The temps were going to be 95º plus. Add in the humidity and it had to feel over 100º. Things seemed to be moving along. I managed to slip in behind a giant motor coach at the toll booth and was able to avoid the "sidewalk" set up for bikers. Cool. On the first decent one back bottle pops out. Crap. Off the bike, hike back up the bridge, fetch and secure said bottle. Next bridge a weird rubbing sound starts. I had just gone over the entire bike. Thought it was the front brake. Stop, check it out -- nothing. Continue on. Suddenly it gets worse, way worse. I stop again and could find no problems with the bike and brakes. Then I notice the same offending bottle had slipped down out the cage and was rubbing the tire. Re-secure both bottles and head out again. Next causeway, the other bottle pops out and flies into the middle of the road. Stop, wait for traffic to clear, fetch, re-secure bottle and head out. Again.

At the four-way stop I balance and wait my turn. Unlike the guy in the rented SUV who pulls out and notices me right when I am in front of his grill. No collision. I guess it is Karma repaying me for splitting some pedestrians like an Italian scooter the other day. Of course they had right of way, but they NEVER even looked while crossing the road. Their kid never stopped texting!

As I had hopped (or more professionally "predicted" the headwinds shifted during the course of my ride. I had some good tailwind out, cross on the way back and tailwind at the finish. Sweet. Of course the Ride Gods threw down at me one more time as I was feeling week. I pass some guy, no helmet, ipod, on a balloon tire bike with a white plastic basket. I breeze by him and keep on going. I was fidgeting with my hand position and I note he is right on my tail! He drafts on me for a while. Now that's just insulting -- balloon tires and a basket riding me! That gave me a little more mojo.

I did the complete 60 with decent HR levels. I told myself if it went over 200 and stayed up I would call Nifi and bag the ride, but it was pretty good. Curious about the Holter monitor Wednesday.

Settled in for the afternoon and stayed cool inside.

Spin On

3 comments:

Travis said...

Let me know how the monitor goes tomorrow.

Spengahli said...

... give yourself an extra mile for the bottle issues! 60 is impressive in heat, making virtually all of your own pace.

I finally got back on the 'hoss'. Cranked out 15 in the rollers last night. 45 minutes with a little extra hill effort. HR on climbs was 143 ... and that feels high to me ... what does 200+ feel like? Let us know how the Holter works out ... is it like 'house arrest'? ... you should take it out for ride! ... and have them study that download!

Petit Chèvre said...

I look like a 40 Year Old Virgin post wax job! Picture a big hairy smiley face (with two extra eyes).

I am going out tonight to train, that is the real test of the system. Might be indoors due to rain in the area.

BTW I think 143 is an okay peak for guys "our age". 100 BPM past that is a bit much.

I'll keep all posted...