Monday, June 2, 2008

Cheers & Gears -- Wining Is Allowed

The Pre Ride Prep
The day started early with a quick trip to the ride venue at The Grove WInery on the Haw River in NC. The weather did not look as if it was going to cooperate when we gathered with clouds and wind.


The Beginning Was The End
Gears & Cheers was organized to benefit the MS Society. Last year they had 100 riders. This year they had over 500 and 100 of them were walk-ons in the last 24 hours. Liz, the organizer was thrilled. We later learned that she was a victim of MS. You could never tell there was anything wrong with her because of her tireless efforts and shining attitude.

The ride ended up being over 43 Miles with a finish time of about 2:45 (more on miles/gallon on another post). There were 9 MPH climbs and 34 MPH descents to balance them out -- fun! We finished together about mid-pack trying to remember it was a charity ride -- not a race. It was about the journey and raising some awareness for Lab Rescue. We got some interest with our canopy and banners (thanks to Spengahli) and new team apré shorts (again, Spengahli to the rescue).


The Only Ride Where Wining Is Allowed

We had a great ride without incident despite the number of riders. I developed one odd cramp in my right leg on the last big climb. As I came to nearly a stop and tried to massage/ride it out, a car full of girls came by and yelled "You kicked that hills ass!" Hard to feel like I kicked anything at that point!


Team R2R Represents
I am sure there is a lot more to detail but I cannot deviate from my job for too long, so I will include notes as I think of them. Note the new Team shorts!

Spin On

No comments: