Friday, October 9, 2009

Riverlution Ride Report

There will be a quiz...

I would have to say the inaugural Riverlution was a success. No mechanicals, no injuries and a great family gathering.



We started out on a misty Minnesota morning at about 51º. As team “captain” I made sure the bikes were prepped, pumped up and numbers were on right side up. After a great breakfast of NMM’s legendary oatmeal bake and fruit, a little talk on group cycling etiquette, we headed out. I have to say I was quite surprised at the pace we held. Our SAG support had not left by the time we reached our first appointed stop, so we kept rolling. At fifteen miles in to the 70, we pulled in and SAG caught up to us for a photo opportunity.



The next leg was the climb I had been dreading/hearing about. It was at least two miles up and this flat-lander could not train for such elevations. But, we climbed, and climbed, saw the false crest -- and climbed some more. I have to admit, I had built it up in my head worse that it actually was. In reality I finally had a long enough climb to find a groove between legs, gear and heart rate. It was over the top and two miles down hill. We pulled over one time on the decent to regroup. Brother One can descend like a stone I found out, so we had to pull ahead on climbs to match him.

Through the town of Maiden Rock and Stockholm there were several little climbs that were steeper than the long one and burned a bit.



But there were flats too. Not my SAG wagon just about took me out right after this shot pulling into a boutique to shop!



I was not the only Little Goat out this day.

From there we met up with Brother Two or “T-Ross” so aptly named for his ancient Ross upright. The sun was out to stay now and it was time to shed some layers. We pushed on again through relatively flat, river estuary land. The roads were a bit rougher here and it made for some pain in the a** riding especially being about 40 miles into the ride. Once I get past that point, I am typically fine. The next agreed spot was Nelson (Cheese Curd Capital of the World) then back over to the MN side in Wabasha (infamous for the filming of “Grumpy Old Men”). Here we met up with our last rider for the final leg of the Riverlution, Diesel Dan. Now we had everyone together and a great photo op on a perfect fall day.



It was agreed that Cutter (think Breaking Away) would push on ahead. He had time to run an errand. That is an indication that he was the youngest and agile of the group by far.

Outside the town of Wabasha and on to Lake City (the reputed home to the invention of water skiing).

One thing I did not realize was the amount of slopes surrounding Lake City. They became the thorn in T-Ross’s side. His bicycle and a headwind made it difficult to keep climbing. But he managed to keep a conversation going and a positive attitude throughout. It was especially fun (and European) to see my nieces waving towels and cheering us on from the side of the road! Too funny.

I tried to keep all my chickens together, but this stretch put BroOne, Cutter and Diesel Dan out ahead. I had expected to see the group in Lake City but they were not in sight. I finally needed to pull over in a rest area for nature break and get off the saddle for a while. There I discovered Cutter and Diesel Dan hanging out. BroOne was gone! I was panicked for a moment then Cutter said he blew by him out of nowhere and pressed on to the end. He then immediately requested a drug test... however most of the drug labs are busy over in France right now mopping up from last year’s Tour. While I try to find the proper Team moniker for BroOne, I am refraining from calling him “Doper.” I have a year to develop a proper Team name so I will keep pondering.

While it was great to have SAG support, they really came in to play when they rescued my stranded nieces when their car broke down after waving us up a climb. We ate some of the prepped food and liquids, but good experience for next year. I drank a lot of fluid as I am used to riding in 100+º temps -- lesson for the team: Drink MORE! And sag really came in to play when we hooked up at a gas station short of home. I was out of water and wanted Diesel and T-Ross to come up, but they kept on going past the stop. I chatted with the SAG Sisters for a while waiting for Cutter whom I assumed was inside. Then they said no, he went on ahead to run his errand.
S**t! I’m just standing here?

Quiz time: How long does it take a Small Goat going 20 MPH into a 9 mile per hour headwind to catch two riders going 15.2 miles an hour with a nine minute head-start?

I have no idea but I did catch them. I had wrapped my sweet Emily’s collar and tags on my stem for inspiration. She just clinked along and kept me paced. When I let up on the throttle I would hear that clinking and push harder to maintain my pace.

That last push pretty much ended the final leg of the Riverlution. We went up the hill into the starting neighborhood and we were greeted by my mom, teary-eyed proud of our accomplishment, waving two small American flags. Now I was teary-eyed. We rode home together, a lump in my throat, proud of my friends, brothers, team and thankful for all the support and contributions made to help Lab Rescue save more dogs.



Great job EVERYONE!


LABstrong

No comments: