Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Growing Distaste For Women

I went to my first-ever Spin Class today with not one but TWO women coaches. That should pretty much explain the title. They tag-teamed my thighs and calves for an hour. And in typical male fashion I will probably go back for more abuse next week. Hell, I'm a glutton for abuse, I will probably sign up for a year.

Having riden about 150 miles a week then a century I figured I was pretty trained up. This was a bit different from the road bike and the home trainer. It DID accomplish my goal of working my upper calves, lower thighs and even my core a bit. It hit my lungs hard again, like Mama, but I got around it. I had to smile when the instructor said "picture climbing a hill this steep" because I had -- more than once.

Like Brother Bob said "Pain is weakness leaving your body." Thank you ma'am, may I have another?

Spin On

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spin is definitely not the same as being on the road. I actually think that spinning helped me with the Seagull Century. I know that there have been other rides where I expended just as much if not more energy, but I also had the opportunity to freewheel (which isn't so easy without announcing myself now that the Rolfs click-click-click)

During the mostly flat century, it was continual revolution / effort...no slacking. This is what spin is for me. There is no break for 60 minutes. No freewheeling. As my instructor says "working recovery"...what the heck does that mean? Basically, it means, "take off your skirt and keep cranking".

One of the guys that I spin with turned in a 72 hour time for this past Summer's Paris-Brest-Paris. So, basically, he is one of the most fit people I know. However, he said that spin / interval training does wonders for your endurance. I have also found that I have better endurance on the road since I began spinning. However, it's easy to get stuck in a rut and not push yourself. Long, painful intervals push the endurance, but there has to be some suffering in order to really benefit.