Monday, October 1, 2007

Small Craft Advisory

Maybe I should have listened to the weather reports on Sunday as I headed out -- Small Craft Advisiories. Winds were ripping, especially over the Causeway! Lets start with my nature encounter on Saturday. Did 24 miles and the old saddle made it feel 100% better. I has some issues with the new drive-train set up but expected it due to new cabeling. Coming down past a preserve area I noted a mother raccoon and four of (presumably) her offspring. They got across the bike path the stopped -- just in time for me to get near them. They all growled, hissed and made a break back to the preserve -- missing my foot and rear wheel by inches! Weird.

Sunday I did 60. The way out was of course splendid and wind aided. Side winds aside it felt good. The way back however was a different story. But I was determined, as Brother Bob said, "to leave it all on the road". My "big" and only climb over the Causeway I did 24+ mph down on the way out. On the way back I coasted down and only did 9 mph because the wind was so stiff. But, I did the entire ride in 4 hours solo.

Steed is back in for tweaks before the ride. I used every gear in my arsenal yesterday -- glad I had 'em. Seagull prep down to the final details! Best of luck and healing to Spenghali.

Ride On

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had incredible weather here this past weekend and it was perfect for a ride yesterday. I drove up to Thurmont, Maryland and did a loop up to Gettysburg, PA and back. The sights and weather and roads were just incredible. Lots of people have been telling me about riding in Maryland because the traffic is lighter and more bike friendly than Virginia. I'm a believer now!

I think the ride went really well and I have been feeling very strong on the bike lately. So, hopefully, the weather will participate this coming Saturday.

I hope the team heals up and enjoys the taper to Saturday. We need to finalize some travel and food plans as the week moves forward.

Cheers.