Monday, July 21, 2008

Goals & Trolls

This weekend was about doing what I said I would, starting with 24+ on Friday night. Felt good, maybe because it was an opportunity to clean out the baggage from the week and ride away from work for a couple days. Funny how our weekends now tend to get planned the weekend ahead. Ride, Chimay, diner out.

Saturday was spin with a not-so great instructor. Songs were long and boring. I think I kicked her ass:) But it was a hard effort and my HR was pretty good: 179 Max, 130 Avg, 912 calories. Yard work, errands, etc. We had a great Italy re-cap dinner with the Michellini's. Jacimo took some great shots which I will have to get up on the blog. My fear was enjoying too much wine before my planned 65 on Sunday, but I think I tempered it with water and cheesecake. Dee-lish.

Sunday came too quickly. It is my only day to "sleep in" but it is a choice over the heat. I got over the first hurdle just by putting on my kit and walking outside. Hellishly hot at 9:10. But I rode. I told myself I did not have the energy to take on the "Troll Booth Keeper" and if directed, I would hit the sidewalk. Instead there was a car in the lane, I deftly moved to the inside and up the bridge. I smiled as I heard the air-raid warning siren guessing it was on my behalf. Suddenly, a third of the way up a fist-sized chunk of concrete flew up and hit me in the ankle out of nowhere. WTF! I had to stop, check that nothing had fallen off the bike. Nope. I surmised that the "Troll Booth" keeper willed it upon me. Picture a troll, eyes scowling, fingers at the temples willing the rock to fly up and launch toward me in retribution for my stealth move. At least that is what I think happened.

The ride was good going out, nice people, well wishes and concerns about the heat. I was able to ride with a young woman named Courtney for a while. She is a percussionist for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra She was on vacation and had her bike shipped down. A great Scott. She had ridden that morning with a group of folks including a Cat 1 racer who do an island loop on the weekends. Congrats for hanging with them -- fast. Me, just slogging along.

I did the 65. Took 8.5 minutes off my 60 time and a five mile cool-down. The heat really kicked in about mile 38. I think I was barely sweating by the end but I needed the saddle time for Mountain Mama.

Took the girls to the beach -- our first time as a family. Shilo managed to drink saltwater and turned herself into a walking water cannon -- if you get my drift. Quite a site -- projectile anal fluids.

On that note, spin on

No comments: