Friday, May 9, 2008

Birthday Wishes

Today is the Nifi's birthday. Being a good husband, I will not disclose how old she is, but suffice to say there is less emphasis placed on celebrating them the past few years:) I'm just glad that she is excited about her birthday this year and hopefully I will not disappoint in the gift giving department!

Being that it is a special day today, I felt it was best to do a longer ride last night and stay in tonight even though Thursday was a scheduled rest day. I did 20+ miles and kept a good clip going, upping my average speed again. I kept in the big chain-ring despite some hefty headwinds. I was amazed at how just a little more cadence or upping one free-wheel gear translated into instant speed. I am much more of a cadence rider, but pushing a big gear was fun last night.

The unknown cloud of Emily's prognosis hangs over my head like an annoying little drizzle. We are to hear back no sooner than Monday. I promised Nifi not to tell her on her birthday if we get bad news so I am hoping for no news today. She seems very active and happy so I am going with that and prayerful we will get a treatable diagnosis. Thanks to those who have wished us well and to those who visited Fat Cyclist. Fortunately, Susan is seeing some relief now.

It occurred to me last night as I rode into the wind, for the third time trying (successfully) to beat my last lap. One of my goals for Mountain Mama (and cycling in general) is not to give myself a mental "out". I think I have a stronger "flight" versus "fight" reaction. Mine comes in the form of seeking that little nagging rationalization to stop just short. It is also a creative minds excersize in finding alternative solutions, I believe. So, along with building muscle, I will continue to endeavor to build character.

Spin On

No comments: