Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bill Slowski


Me

The last few rides have seen me declining in average speed or struggling to keep up an average speed that seems typical for me.

I did a quick 12 after work Friday but started to feel funky, like a big pit in my stomach and hungry. The smell of folks getting their grill on for the weekend did not help. So I finished up and bagged it for some food and ale. I had a HR spike to about 211 but I get that from interference occasionally. But combined with the funk seemed odd.

Saturday was spin class. I got there and warmed up. My resting HR seemed a little high but not concerning. When class started it jumped to 190 immediately. I spent over a third of the class over 200 and spiked to 240 at one point plus maintained a 225+ for a while. For my age it should be 175 max. I allow 185 for fitness level. Now I was getting a little concerned. I kept wearing the HR monitor at home for a while and it mellowed out but still on the resting high side.

Made a call to Dr. Tree and he said that was not normal, a bit concerning and to contact my GP and discuss a Halter Monitor via a cardiologist. Basically it is a recording device that tracks every beat and what part of the heart is dictating the BPM. Great, me and Dick Cheney. At least I have not accidentally shot anyone....yet.

I had hoped to do 60 Sunday with a great Monday off for sleep and recovery but opted to do 25 instead to get more rest in. HR still spent more time above 200 than I felt comfortable with and maxed at 235. Plus it was windy and that kicked my average speed in the junk. Frig.

I re-read an article on climbing and they suggested Lance's method of high cadence. I kept shifting down to keep cadence at 80+ and while it was initially slower, I ended much stronger. The trick is to have a good rounded pedal stroke, not box the rotation.

Medical issues aside I picked up another Specialized saddle to try. I think it just might work! I need to make a few adjustments but it has the slot I like and more padding, plus it is the right width. My next distance will be Gears & Cheers 40 with some climbing. We'll see if it works or it goes on eBay:)

Tried the Berry Zym with caffeine. Tastes good but definitely stronger than the lemon-lime which I double in 24 ounces. A single berry tab was enough for 24 ounces.

Monday will be total rest, hydration and yard work.

Happy Memorial Day to all!

Spin On

1 comment:

Travis said...

Keep us posted on the high HR thing, sounds a little scary.

I tried the "double up" on the Limon-Lime favor yesterday, worked like a champ. Thanks for the tip.